Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Obama and college students


This has been an important election for college students across the nation. These younger voters have been casting their votes in the primaries and making a big impact on candidate victories. The one candidate that has benefited the most from this increased college voter base has to be Barack Obama. As a college student, and a supporter of Obama, I have a few points to address in regard to this voting trend.

Any news coverage I’ve seen regarding college-aged voters who support Obama, almost makes me want to cringe. Many articles that I’ve read in recent months tend to paint these voters as naive and uninformed, and I think that is because many of them are. Obama has the ability to inspire and bring hope to people, and I firmly believe this is a strong attribute. His speeches are powerful, and have proven to unite people together and feel that they are a part of something important. But inspiration alone is not enough.

Inspiring speeches are the icing on the cake, but not the substance of a campaign. Because of his amiable nature and hopeful rhetoric, Obama has become something of an abstract idea that voters can mold into whatever form they want to in their minds. Half of the voters I’ve heard interviewed about Obama act like they don’t even know where he stands on a single issue, but simply like the way he acts or sounds. For this reason I’m torn. I’m glad that people are supporting the same candidate that I am, but I’m disappointed that they don’t take the time to really find out who they’re voting for.

This may seem like an inappropriate blog entry to write about the candidate I’m supporting, but I’m just trying to make a point. Regardless of how you feel about Obama, research candidates before you vote for them. You don’t have to become a political junkie, but at least look at the issues. Don’t vote for Huckabee because he knows Chuck Norris, or Hillary because she’s a woman, or McCain because he’s a war hero, and certainly not Obama simply because he can write a good speech. Vote for them because of what they stand for and how they will lead the nation. Everything else comes after that.

8 comments:

LauraM said...

Did you see this "Students for Barack Obama" YouTube video from September 2007? What do you think of it?

Matt said...

I fancy myself an Obama man and I definitely know what you're talking about. Still though, it is nice that people are getting out and supporting a candidate because they seem genuinly nice and they speak well. At least it's not because of his religious views, which always scares me...I mean how many Huckabee supporters supported him because he seemed nice and spoke well (he was funny)? They all jumped on the bandwagon because of his supposed strong Christian faith it seems to me. Which is obviously fine, but he hung his hat on it, which is scary.

isobel02 said...

I get most, if not all, of my political information from The Daily Show. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure. I think it is all the political talk I can stand because at least there is a sense of humor attached to it.

I think it is clear that they are also biased and favor Obama, which is fine with me because I am an Obama supporter also.

I also watch Good Morning America sometimes. I know, it is more of an entertainment show, not a "news" show, but at least I SORT OF know what is going on in the world after watching it each day.

It is hard to sort through all the garbage and what amounts to gossiping about other candidates. I hope Barack Obama will keep making me proud and hold his head above all of the finger-pointing and typical politician games.

justiceforusall said...

The funny thing is I wasn't an Obama supporter at first. I was totally a Huckabee guy in spite of the fact that I closely associate my beliefs to democratic. That is to say, I'm closer to being a democrat than a republican. I completely agree with the way handled this entry. You took a real point of view. I try not to vote for people who just meet some qualification that has no relation to the issues/things that matter to me.
Obama won me over when I watched him answer questions at one of the many talks that they do before the primaries and he really spoke to me. When he avoided question's it was clear he was and he didn’t try to hide it. The other questions he directly answered.
The really bad thing is those articles that you've been reading. Yes it's probably true the college voting crowd is not as informed, but I don’t think that's very different from the general public. In fact, I'll dare to say the college crowd is more intelligent academically but they lack the maturity and wisdom of age. Because they are so busy with classes and other college activities, they can't always spend the time they should on the candidates. The general public, however, doesn't have the time because of work(life in general) or they are so set in their ways, they don't know how to adapt with the times and chooses a person based on what some would call a minor issue. I'd say there's no real way to avoid the uninformed voter.

walktalkhealth said...

I'm glad to see college students involved and taking a stand. It is sad to realize that in the recent past less than half the voting age public actually took the time to vote.

Your blog raises interesting points about the role of the media. The poll on the beer/wine tastes encapsulates the issue in a nut shell. (sorry, couldn't resist!) ; )

Kathy

daniel hammond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
daniel hammond said...

isobel02, in answer to your wondering, getting most or all of your political information from the daily show is bad. if you're looking for political commentary with humor, watch/listen to glenn beck. he comes on cnn headline news (comcast channel 35) every weekday at 7pm, 9pm, and midnight. granted, he is an outspoken conservative, so if you want relatively balanced coverage, you should watch anderson cooper and/or lou dobbs on cnn. check your local listings..

Alley Cat said...

that is wonderful advice! everyone should make a point to look closely at their candidate of choice and not base their decisions on plain ol' likeability.

i watched a recent early morning group interview of college students for Obama, and it made me cringe. out of the whole group, only about two people knew anything about the issues. to me, that sort of blind allegience is scary; even though i like Obama, it freaks me out to know that people are supporting him "just because."